(For the cake)
125g soft unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
1tbsp golden syrup
125g self-raising flour
2tbsp cocoa powder
(For the filling and topping)
100g icing sugar
50g soft unsalted butter
100g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3. Grease two 7 inch shallow cake tins.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk to form a smooth and fluffy mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and level the tops. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until slightly springy to the touch. Coo for a few minutes in the tins and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile to make the topping and filling beat the icing sugar and butter together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Melt the chocolate and beat into the mixture. Use half this mix to sandwich the two cakes together, and spread the remainder over the top of the cake. You can dust with a little icing sugar too if you'd like.
- Serve, well, anytime you want some good cake!