150g unsalted butter
75g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
250g caster sugar
5 large eggs, beaten
150g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
Grated rinds of 2 large oranges
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4. Grease and line two 1lb loaf tins.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't actually touch the water). Remove from the heat once the chocolate has melted.
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and fold in.
- Transfer one-third of the mixture to the melted chocolate and stir together. Stir the orange zest into the remaining mixture.
- Place one quarter of the orange mixture in each cake tin, spreading to an even layer. Drop spoonfuls of the chocolate mixture in, then the orange, then the chocolate again and so on until you have split the mixtures evenly between the two tins. Swirl the tops until you have an even layer.
- Pop into the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tins before turning out onto a wire rack and removing the lining paper to cool completely.
You try and stop at one slice....