2tbsp olive oil
4lb chicken pieces (on the bone)
Big handful of streaky bacon, diced
2 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
225ml red wine
300ml chicken stock
1 bouquet garni
salt and pepper
2tbsp plain flour
4 bay leaves
- Melt half the butter with the olive oil in a large, flameproof, casserole dish. Add the chicken and cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, turning continually until golden brown all over. Add the bacon, onions and garlic.
- Pour in the brandy and set it alight with a match or taper. When the flames have died down add the red wine, stock, bay leaves and bouquet garni, and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour, or until the chicken pieces are cooked through and tender.
- Meanwhile, make a beurre manie by mashing the butter that's left with the plain flour in a small bowl.
- Remove the bouquet garni and bay leaves and discard. Transfer the chicken to a large plate and keep warm. Stir the beurre manie into the casserole, a little at a time. Bring to the boil, return the chicken to the casserole and serve immediately.