|Moments before I om, nom, nom...|
Sort of a do-it-yourself cereal bar, without all the stabilisers and hydrogenated this and that. Any soft fruit can be used here, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, whatever is your favourite. You could also add some chopped nuts if that's what takes your fancy. If you're using fresh fruits pop them into the freezer before you start, I like to break the frozen raspberries apart with my fingers so I have a fruit crumble, it gives me a much more even layer.
Makes: 16 slices
175g unsalted butter, diced and allowed to soften slightly
100g plain flour
75g extra coarse wholemeal flour
150g porridge oats
175g caster sugar
zest of one lemon
icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 10 inch square shallow baking tin.
- In a large mixing bowl rub in your butter, flours and oats until they resemble a coarse crumble. Add your caster sugar and lemon zest and continue mixing until starting to come together slightly.
- Put half the crumble mix in the baking tray and pat down firmly. Cover with raspberries in an even layer.
- Add other half of crumble mix and pat down firmly again.
- Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until golden brown in colour. Remove from oven, cut into slices and allow to cool in the tray before removing.
- Dust with a little icing sugar and serve. Delicious!