Makes 1 loaf
225g self-raising wholemeal flour
225g self-raising flour
1tbsp demerera sugar
1tbsp rapeseed oil
300-450ml whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7.
- Sieve the self-raising flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the wholemeal flour and sugar, following by the oil.
- Add the milk a little at a time until you have achieved a workable dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knock into a rounded shape.
- Place on a floured baking tray and cut a cross into the top of the round with a sharp knife.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the bread is well risen and crisp, and the base sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before slicing and eating!